Barbed Solid Pins
SPIROL's Barbed Pins were created specifically for use in flexible plastics where optimum resistance to axial force is desired. The raised barbs are angled backwards, opposite the direction of insertion. After installation, the plastic will backfill into the area around the barbs resulting in maximum retention. Barbed Pins are ideal for applications requiring high pull-out (tensile) strength, and to prevent disassembly (i.e. tamperproof ). Barbs are not appropriate for brittle plastics or those containing high percentages of fillers. As barbs are a radial feature, they do not resist rotation of two components relative to one another. For this requirement, a straight or helical knurl should be used. All Barbed Pins are provided with a generous pilot to facilitate alignment with the hole and ease installation.
If installation equipment is required, SPIROL also offers a standard comprehensive line of Pin Installation Equipment from manual to fully automatic modules, with or without out fixturing, to support your Solid Pin assembly requirements.
Application Engineering Assistance: If you would like assistance in selecting the proper Solid Pin - including determining the recommended hole size, tolerance and installation method - please Request Engineering Support! We are here to help!
Barbed Pins Product Types
SPIROL's BP100 Press-N-Lok™ Pin has opposing barbs on each end of the pin and is designed to permanently retain two plastic components to each other such as two halves of a plastic enclosure.
Press-N-Lok™ Pins are installed in two stages:
Step 1: Press the pin into one half of the plastic housing.
Step 2: Align the other half of the housing with the exposed end of the pin and press into place.
During installation, the plastic will backfill into the area around the barbs resulting in maximum resistance to axial force. SPIROL's Press-N-Lok™ Pins are manufactured from lightweight, lead free aluminum as a standard, and available to order in austenitic stainless steel. SPIROL Press-N-Lok™ Pins are available in diameters ranging from 2mm to 4mm.
Headed Barbed Pin
SPIROL's FH400 Headed Barbed Pin has a series of barbs extending down the entire length of the pin. Headed Barbed Pins are a great replacement for self-tapping screws in plastic assemblies as Barbed Pins are installed into standard molded (or drilled) holes, they install much faster than screws, and they eliminate issues associated with cross-threaded or skewing during installation. Unlike screws that resist back-out (or loosening) by being tightened to a preset torque, Barbed Pins are retained by the plastic backfilling over the aggressively-designed barbs. The head provides a positive stop and is also used to retain a thin component to a thicker component within an assembly. SPIROL's FH400 Headed Barbed Pins are available in metric diameters ranging from Ø2mm to Ø6mm and inch diameters ranging from Ø.078" (5/64) to Ø.250" (1/4) in low carbon steel and austenitic stainless steel.
If you are unable to find the Barbed Solid Pin in the diameter, length, material, or finish that you require within our standard offering, or if you are unsure what type of pin is most appropriate for your assembly, Request Engineering Support from our team and we will help you select the most cost-effective solution for your application.
Installation Technology for Pins
In addition to a comprehensive line of engineered components used for joining and assembly, SPIROL also offers a full range of Pin Installation Equipment designed to facilitate cost-effective and high quality assembly of your products. Our installation solutions range from manual machines to fully automated work cells with statistical process control and error-proofing options. We are the only company of our kind that offers the total integrated solution.
Application Success Stories
Retention Pins in Plastic Electric Vehicle Charging Handle
A manufacturer of electric vehicle charging handles had been experiencing high scrap rates during assembly due to screws stripping the plastic host. They wanted to replace the screws with permanent, tamper resistant fasteners that also supported lean manufacturing.
- SPIROL Engineering recommended replacing the screws with Press-N-Lok™ Pins that were specifically designed as retention pins for plastic enclosures.
- Press-N-Lok™ Pins have barbs that provide high retention in plastics. As the pins are pressed into the plastic, the barbs displace the plastic host material. After installation, the plastic backfills behind the barbs to lock the pins in place.
- The assembly time for the Press-N-Lok™ Pins was much quicker and the assembly equipment costs was lower compared to the screws previously used.
- SPIROL's Press-N-Lok™ Pins simplified the assembly process, and eliminated scrap events associated with the installation of the screws.
Hinge Pin in Automotive Interior Door Handle Latch Mechanism
An automotive door handle manufacturer approached SPIROL to recommend a hinge pin that would eliminate the BSR (buzz, squeak & rattle) caused by a semi-tubular rivet they were using in their assembly.
- SPIROL’s LP500 Latch Pin for Plastics was specifically developed for the automotive handle and latch market.
- The barbed section under the head of the LP500 Latch Pin for Plastics locks the pin into the plastic host assuring the handle pivots properly while the pin remains stationary. This also completely eliminates the concern for BSR.
- Since the pin is pressed securely into place upon insertion, all secondary operations such as riveting and peening are eliminated.
- Replacing the current Semi-Tubular Rivet with SPIROL’s LP500 Latch Pin for Plastics simplified the assembly process, improved production efficiencies, eliminated lubricants, and improved the overall product quality of the door handle.
Local Design, Global Supply.
SPIROL has Application Engineers throughout the world to assist you in your designs, supported by state-of-the-art manufacturing centers and worldwide stocking facilities to simplify the logistics of delivering your product.
Have a manufacturing issue you can't solve? Our engineering experts love a challenge. Recommending efficient solutions for your application requirements is what we do best. Give us a call or fill out the form below to connect with us!+1 519 974 3334