Installation Equipment for Pins, Compression Limiters and Threaded Inserts for Plastics
SPIROL Installation Equipment — A Standardized Approach to Customized Installation Systems for Pins, Inserts, Compression Limiters and other products...for Optimum Pay Back!
Our objective is to build reliable and cost-effective equipment that provides the right degree of automation based on the volume and complexity of the assembly process involved; the degree of automation that yields the lowest per unit assembly cost and the optimum pay back.
SPIROL Installation Equipment is customized to meet the customer's specific needs—but at least 80% of the components are standard, pretested, production proven, off-the-shelf parts. This translates into faster delivery, greater reliability and lowest cost for equipment of comparable quality. Operations such as drilling, machining and inspection can be combined with installation of the fastener. We offer:
- Simultaneous multiple insertions
- Manual, semi-automatic, and automatic machines
- Vertical and horizontal styles
- Performance Warranty
Installation Equipment Types
Integrated Systems. SPIROL can combine all of our insertion, feeding and transfer technology to produce custom, integrated assembly systems for your unique requirements.
SPIROL manufactures standard machine tables and robust lift and roll tables — ideal bases for installation equipment and other assembly modules.
Whether your requirements are for standard fastener installation equipment or a custom designed system (with or without fixturing), we are dedicated to providing you with the best, most cost-effective solution. SPIROL offers the following types of installation products:
Our objective is to enhance your competitiveness through increased productivity, product quality and reduced manufacturing cost. SPIROL remains part of the process until the machine meets your objectives.
Not sure what you need?
SPIROL's Application Engineers will design the most cost-effective installation system for your assembly requirements! Contact us today for complimentary engineering support!
The following options can be added to certain models of Fastener Installation Equipment for enhanced productivity, heightened process control and error-proofing.
- Vision sensing for part presence
- Automatic fixture identification
- Powered fixture slide
- Drilling & Pinning combinations
- Rotary index tables
- Force monitoring
- Part level monitoring in feeding system
- Password protection of HMI screens
- Keyed reset
- Status/indicator lights
- Audible fault alarm, and
- Part marking
Five Step Process for Success
When you engage SPIROL as part of your team, we will utilize our 5 Step Process for Success to ensure that you receive an accurate solution in a timely manner:
1 - We determine your assembly objectives and prepare a proposal
SPIROL partners with you to conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your application requirements.
- Fastener specifications and performance requirements
- Special control/safety requirements
- Critical component and assembly specifications
- Quality objectives
- Production objectives
Based on your requirements, SPIROL will develop the assembly concept bestsuited to meet your objectives. A detailed proposal is submitted with a fixed price and a performance guarantee.
2 - We design an installation system based on your defined objectives
Upon receipt of your order, the assembly concept is reviewed and assigned to a SPIROL Project Engineer. A detailed layout is developed, components are specified and engineering drawings are prepared. Control packages are carefully developed to ensure the system is interactive and fail-safe. Our standardized, time-tested, modular designs are robust, reliable and easily adjustable – allowing for customization to meet the specific needs of your application. This translates into faster delivery, greater reliability, and the best value for equipment of comparable quality.
3 - A fixture is designed to hold and align the components during installation
SPIROL specializes in custom part-holding devices called fixtures. Fixturing, which includes aligning and holding your components accurately and firmly during installation, is a critical element to the performance of your installation equipment. SPIROL will review the detailed layout with you to ensure that all aspects of the machine meet your expectations.
4 - We build, test, install, and certify the machine – including educating operators and maintenance personnel
The assembly of the equipment is closely monitored by the assigned Project Engineer. The equipment is thoroughly tested at our plant. As a part of our standard procedure, SPIROL will train your operators on the use and maintenance of the equipment.
5 - We provide total customer satisfaction
We have a long history of providing installation equipment of the highest quality and reliability. We are so confident in our equipment that SPIROL offers the only performance warranty in the industry.
Engineered Fasteners & Installation Equipment
SPIROL designs and manufactures both a comprehensive line of engineered components used for joining and assembly, and a full range of installation equipment designed to facilitate cost-effective and high-quality assembly of your products. Our installation solutions range from manual machines to fully automated work cells with statistical process control and error-proofing options. We are the only company of our kind that offers the total integrated solution.
Application Success Stories
Model DP Drilling and Pinning Machine - Gear to Shaft Assembly for Hydraulic Pump
A leading manufacturer of hydraulic pumps required a method to permanently affix various sized gears to shafts. After press fitting the gears into position, they would drill a hole partially through the assembly, install a heavy duty SPIROL Coiled Spring Pin, and stake the entrance point for maximum security. Prior to SPIROL's involvement, this process was done manually using 3 different stations. Since the customer offered many different gear/shaft assembly sizes, the machine needed to be versatile enough to accommodate the 11 existing assemblies, as well as be able to handle new variations as designed. Tooling changeover had to be quick and simple, with little to no machine adjustment. The cycle time had to be less than a minute, and drill bits were expected to last at least 500 cycles.
- SPIROL Engineering recommended SPIROL's Model DP Drilling and Pinning Machine which consists of a standard Model CR Pin Insertion machine, an automatic, production quality, high-precision drilling unit, and a precision air-powered linear slide unit to move the assemblies between the drill unit and installation/staking station.
- SPIROL's Model DP Drilling and Pinning Machine features include:
- Recirculating flood coolant in the drilling operation for temperature control and chip removal
- Automatic clamping/part holding fixture unit
- Easily interchangeable tooling to accommodate 11 different assemblies
- Common drilling and pin insertion elevation between all assemblies
- Pin presence sensing to verify a pin was installed in the assembly
- Allen Bradley Panel View™ Human Machine Interface for programming and control of all machine functions
- Full perimeter guarding with safety interlocked sliding doors
- Heavy Duty SPIROL Machine Table with adjustable feet
- SPIROL's Drilling & Pinning Machine provides a machine cycle time of 45 seconds, drill bits yield 600 plus parts, and tooling change-over takes less than 15 minutes between assemblies.
- SPIROL's Model DP Drilling & Pinning Machine doubled the previous production output, and provided a payback of less than 12 months.
Compression Limiter Installation into Wire Harness
A plastic molder of automotive wiring harness channels had been faced with the task of installing multiple Compression Limiters into irregular shaped components. In total, there were four different components - each containing between (2) and (6) SPIROL® Series 600 Aluminum Compression Limiters. The irregular shape and thin walls of the wire harness posed a fixturing and installation challenge. The wiring harness was not only irregular in shape, but the Compression Limiter installation heights varied within the part. The previous method of assembly was manual with the operator placing and hammering each Compression Limiter into place. The manual process was slow, it was difficult to ensure proper alignment of the Compression Limiter with the hole, and the scrap levels were unacceptable.
- SPIROL Engineers reviewed the installation requirements and recommended the Model CL Compression Limiter Installation Machine. The Model CL Compression Limiter Installation Machine was designed with multiple fixture cavities. Each cavity accommodates and securely holds the wire harness channels at the proper height and orientation for Compression Limiter installation.
- The operator simply loads the wiring harness assembly into the proper fixture location using the fixture cut-out as a guide. Each installation hole is loaded over a guidepost to ensure proper hole location, alignment and support throughout the installation process.
- The operator then manually loads one Compression Limiter onto each post.
- Once all wiring harnesses and Compression Limiters are loaded, the fixture plate is moved into the work zone and locked in place. The machine is activated and the top platen advances downward simultaneously installing all Compression Limiters.
- Upon verification that the installation cycle has completed and all Compression Limiters are sensed as installed, the machine retracts, the fixture is unlocked and the completed assemblies removed.
- SPIROL delivered the complete assembly solution by providing the Compression Limiters and installation equipment.
- The Model CL Compression Limiter Installation Machine significantly increased productivity, improved product quality, and eliminated scrap associated with the customers original manual installation process.
Local Design, Global Supply.
SPIROL has Application Engineers throughout the world to assist you in your designs, supported by state-of-the-art manufacturing centers and worldwide stocking facilities to simplify the logistics of delivering your product.
Have a manufacturing issue you can't solve? Our engineering experts love a challenge. Recommending efficient solutions for your application requirements is what we do best. Give us a call or fill out the form below to connect with us!+1 519 974 3334